If a student has provisionally offered a place at an educational institute that holds the relevant sponsor licence they are eligible to apply for a Tier 4 study visa.

If you are studying at degree level then you may work a maximum of 20 hours a week during term time and full time during holiday periods.

It is possible to extend a Tier 4 General visa however this privilege is typically only for those who are moving from one degree level course to a higher degree level.

This is possible however you must show proof that you have already secured a role in a business that holds the relevant sponsor licence on your Tier 2 application.

Tier 2 visas usually cover individuals who are employed by an organisation with the relevant sponsor licence which includes those in post doctorate and research roles. However, we would always advise taking legal advice to ensure you apply for the correct visa as different qualifications affect the Tier level you will need.

Typically, you cannot bring a dependent with you on a short-term visa. A Tier 4 visa is slightly different but there are strict criteria and this privilege is usually reserved for those on government sponsored initiatives or if they are pursuing a degree level qualification over a long period of time.

No, you will need to have been offered a position from a company that holds a sponsor licence who will need to issue you with a CoS (certificate of sponsorship).

Yes, you must have a passport or other valid travel document, be able to provide your CoS number, demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement and also you must be able to provide proof of how you will meet the maintenance requirement.

Yes, although it does depend what sub-category you have been awarded a visa under.

You will be issued with a travel visa that will be valid for 30 days along with documentation proving you are permitted to enter the UK to work.  Upon arrival to the UK, your full visa will be provided to you in the form of a BRP (biometric residence permit). Your BRP must be collect from the post office within 10 days of your arrival. If your work visa is for a shorter period of time such as 6 months you will not need be issued with a BRP you will instead have a stamp in your passport. If you applied for your work visa whilst already in the UK a BRP will be provided and will be valid for the duration of your CoS.

The shortage occupation list is extremely specific and these roles must have previously been advertised within the EEA. To explore whether you qualify for any of the roles on the list we expressly advise speaking to an experienced professional for guidance and support.

Typically, this will not be permitted however there are limited circumstance where it will be considered. You should take legal advice before pursuing this.

You can apply for a Tier 1 Investor Visa if you meet the following criteria; You must be over 18 and be able to provide proof that the money you wish to invest belongs to yourself or your partner. You must not be from the EEA or Switzerland. The money you wish to invest must be a minimum of £200,000 and you must be able to open an investment account in the UK.

You will be required to provide proof of your funds and where the money is held. If the money you wish to invest is your partners, you must provide a statement stating that you have control of the funds. You must also provide a criminal record certificate from any country that you have lived in within the last 10 ears. Finally, you will need a valid passport or equivalent.

You will not be permitted to invest in certain businesses including, leveraged investment funds, deposits in banks or an ISA, premium bonds or NS&I savings certificates, investment companies, pooled investment vehicles, open-ended investment companies or any companies operating property management/development or investment.

It is possible to extend a Tier 1 Investor visa however this is subject to fulfilling the relative criteria. You should must have control of £200,000 minimum in the UK. The funds that you have invested must have gone to loan capital, share capital or government bonds in active UK businesses. Your investment must have been made within 3 months of the approval of your initial application. You are also required to declare dependents within your application, pay a healthcare surcharge and provide biometric information.

There are 3 situations where you can apply for accelerated residency. After holding a visa for 5 continuous years you are eligible to gain permanent residency without the need of continued investment. However, if you invest £10,000,000 within two years you can apply for accelerated residency and if you invest £5,000,000 within three years you can apply for accelerated residency.

Currently there is no statutory appeal process against a Tier 1 Investor Visa refusal however you can apply for an administrative review. You must apply for an administrative review within 28 days of the refusal, should the review not be successful you will need to apply to the Upper Tribunal to seek permission for a judicial review. Applying for a Tier 1 Investor Visa is a complex process and to increase the chances of a positive outcome it is imperative that you work with a lawyer who specialises in this field to guide you through the process,

If you are over 16, exceed 95 points for maintenance language ability and attributes and are looking to invest a minimum of £200,000 in a start-up business or existing business you will qualify to apply. Please note, a minimum of £50,000 is required if you are being supported by a venture capital organisation.

To extend your visa you must meet the following requirements; Prove that you are an active director, self-employed or in a working partnership. You must also have created a minimum of 2 full-time jobs within 3 years of your investment and these jobs must have existed for 12 months. A £200,000 minimum must have previously been invested into a start-up or existing business. Should you meet the qualifying criteria you must apply for an extension no less than 28 days before your current visa expires, you may reside in the UK whilst a decision is made on your extension.

If you are a recent graduate and fulfil the following criteria you may be able to apply for a Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa. You must not be from the EEA or from Switzerland. You must have a credible business idea and demonstrate how this will succeed along with being a graduate who is endorsed by a higher education institute within the last 3 months. You must possess a UK-recognised degree that was gained prior to the date of endorsement. If applying from within the UK you must have £945 minimum maintenance funds for the previous 3 months or £1,890 minimum if you are applying from outside of the UK. Finally, you must possess comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the English language.

It is not unusual for these types of visas to be refused, in fact with over 1/3 of applicants refused a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa carries the highest refusal rate of all UK visas. In this instance, you will need to consult with a lawyer who has specialist knowledge in this area.

Unfortunately, you cannot guarantee an approval of your visa application. However, by pairing with a specialist lawyer who understands the process you will give your application the best possible chance of being approved. You will need to ensure that you have a good business plan and properly prepare for the interview that you will need to attend.

Currently, those who are classed as engaging in ‘qualifying activity’ and a citizen of the EEA, Switzerland or the EU are eligible. Qualifying activities include being self-sufficient, students and the employed/self-employed.

5 Years, once this is expired you may at this point apply for permanent residence.

When applying for permanent residence you should have been living I the UK for 5 years, during this period you will have received important documents that you will need for your application. You should be able to provide bank statements, employment records, P60’s and council tax bills.

If you apply through the post a decision is usually reached within 3 months. You may also apply online or if available, through your local authority’s passport-passback service both of these typically have a quicker decision time than applying through the post.

Once granted, an EEA permanent residence permit is valid for 10 years. From autumn 2018 once your 10-year permit expires you will receive settlement documents.


If your application for permanent EEA residence is denied you may pursue an independent tribunal. We would strongly advise that if your application is denied that you seek expert legal assistance.

 Yes, although we recommend that you work a minimum of 16 hours per week and that you gain legal employment.

As long as you are a national of the EEA or Switzerland looking to reside in the UK then you may be eligible for an EEA Family Permit.

At this moment in time, no one can be sure if or how Brexit will impact an EEA Permanent Residence Certificate however we strongly advise that you have a legal representative who will keep you updated of any changes in legislation.

If your family has refugee status, humanitarian protection, settled in the UK or a British citizen then you can apply to join them.

This type of visa is applicable to family members of an individual who has fled to the UK from their home country and has humanitarian protection or refugee status however you must have been part of the family unit prior to your family member fleeing to the UK.

This type of visa is restricted to those who can prove that they desperately need their family member to care for them if they are unable to afford to pay for or secure the relevant care in their home country.

This type of visa is applicable to those who are over 17 years of age, a citizen of the commonwealth and can prove on of their grandparents was born in the UK.

Typically, other than those who have come to the UK as a finance/fiancée are allowed to work.

There is no set cost for bringing your family to the UK as it completely depends on the type of visa that you require. Along with the application fee you will be required to pay a health surcharge for access to the NHS however those applying for a refugee family reunion visa do not need to pay the surcharge.

You will receive an initial visa which will be valid for one month to allow you travel to the UK. Once you arrive in the UK you will need to collect your biometric residence permit (BRP) from the post office, this will state the amount of time you may reside in the UK. Your BRP must be collected within 10 days of your arrival in the UK. Should you be a fiancé/fiancée entering the UK your passport would be stamped with an allowed period of 6 months.

Should you need to renew your visa you should apply for the extension no less than 28 days before the date of expiry.

 Typically, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain after you have resided legally within the UK for 5 years however your eligibility will depend upon which visa you entered the country under.

You may able to appeal a refusal via an independent immigration tribunal. If you have applied through the PBS (points based system) you may then pursue an administrative review via the UK visa and immigration service.

 Individuals who have legally settled in the UK for 5 years or 3 years if you are a spouse of a British Citizen. The individual must be of good character and not have lived outside the UK for a certain period during their settled status.

Current guidelines in place by the Home Office state that the application should be completed within 6 months however in more complex cases there may be unavoidable delays.

A mandatory requirement is that you must take and pass a ‘Life In The UK test’. If your first language is not English and you do not have a degree taught in the English language you must also undertake and pass an English language test.

You may still apply although this will affect the application process complexity and may lead to delays in a decision. Each application is decided on its own merit and it will be taken into account the nature of the crime(s), whether they were a one off and when they were committed and the punishment received.

If a citizen of the EEA has a permanent residence card and meets the criteria then yes, they can apply for naturalisation.

You will be able to apply for a British passport once you have been approved for naturalisation. There are certain local authorities that will allow you to start the process when you apply for naturalisation however you would need to check the availability in your area.

If you have no previous immigration offences and no previous failures of sponsorship duties you can apply for Tier 2 sponsorship to legally work and live in the UK.

Yes, you must apply 3 months prior to your licence expiration date.

No, you can also temporarily employ skilled workers under Tier 5 regulations.

– 4 years unless revoked by the Home Office.

If you do not stick to the regulations your sponsor licence could be revoked. You must ensure migrant workers are suitably qualified, only provide sponsor for suitable roles and report to the UKVI when necessary.

You will need to obtain specialist guidance from a lawyer. Accidental errors can be fixed by speaking with the Home Office and reapplying however for more complex reasons you may have to wait 6 months to reapply.

All visa applicants are responsible for the accuracy of their visa application forms and must carefully consider the requirements set out in the visa application forms and complete all application forms fully and truthfully and provide correct and accurate information and documentation in support of their visa. Visa-Applications.org is a private visa support company and works under the governance of a SRA registered solicitor and is not affiliated with any government body. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited.
Informative Media UK Ltd - 10435668.